Thursday, September 9, 2010

Does High School English Now Seem Like a Waste?

I left class yesterday kind of mad.  Why would you learn to write one style of paper for seven years and then all of the sudden when it counts the format changes?!  Sure I learned to write other kinds of papers, but for the most part 90% of the were in the five paragraph essay form.  So out of this a bigger question is proposed, is high school really preparing you for college?  I would say in some aspects yes, but in others absolutely not.  The paper formatting is just one example.  Did you get by in high school with out reading a single page out of your text book?  Well the days of that are over!  Did you teachers let you turn in your papers late...Even sometimes a whole quarter late?  You can kiss that goodbye as well!  I think your school systems really need to keep the ultimate goal in focus.  Now that we have the no child left behind program and everyone is on the college bound track, our teaching styles and formats should comply.  Don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I agree. It's really frustrating because we're taught this five paragraph essay format all through out high school. They pushed it on us and made us write it, and now that we're in college, it's like, "OOPS! Sorry! Tricked ya! Now you have to do it THIS way instead of what they've been cramming down your throat for the past 4 years." I think schools need to REALLY start preparing you. My school actually had some teachers that wouldn't accept anything late, and if they did, it was a letter grade off each day. I guess teachers have different rules they go by. It'd be hard to enforce a rule like that for all teachers, but I agree, something does need to be changed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Andrea. It is really sad. I really feel like most people feel that way, but I took A.P. and Honors classes in high school and don't feel that way. I always had to turn things in on time, and always had to read and do my homework. I really think that it depends on the teacher and that it is just the luck of the draw on getting the right teachers. It really should not be that way. I completely agree about the essay format. I get very frustrated when things like formats and grammar rules change. It is ridiculous! I don't know why the people who are trying to help and prepare us end up not preparing us as much as we thought.

    ReplyDelete